Banks & Financial Institutions
Our Banking and Financial Institutions Practice is designed to meet the regulatory and business needs of state and national banks in Illinois and Florida, with particular attention to fulfilling the business objectives of commercial banks and bank holding companies and their owners, officers, and board of directors.
We recognize that banking is a business first, although subject to extensive governmental supervision. By understanding the unique regulatory framework within which banks must operate, we are able to assist financial institutions in maximizing their business potential.
Our services include:
- Representing state and national banks and bank holding companies before state and federal bank regulators to obtain regulatory approval for branch bank expansion
- Handling bank and bank holding company formations, acquisitions, and sales
- Assisting with bank and bank holding company mergers
- Handling bank and bank holding company changes in control
- Counseling regarding new bank facility development and related matters requiring regulatory approval
- Assisting banks in developing loan underwriting policies and loan documentation policies to comply with safe and sound banking practices mandated by state and federal bank regulators
- Negotiating loan work-outs and negotiating and drafting loan participation agreements
- Structuring and implementing shareholder buy-outs
- Drafting and obtaining regulatory approval for voting trust agreements and shareholder agreements
- Negotiating and documenting bank holding company loans
- Representation of foreclosure matters
In addition to helping banks and bank holding companies comply with the unique regulatory requirements of banking, we offer them a full range of legal services designed to fulfill the day-to-day business challenges of banking.
We provide representation on matters pertaining to employment law, tax law, pension plan administration, insurance, confidentiality and non-compete agreements; securities offerings; compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002; compliance with the USA PATRIOT Act; domestic and international letters of credit and other credit facilities; loan documentation and enforcement; environmental risk evaluation; shareholder dispute mediation; and most other areas common to the business of banking.
Members of our Banking and Financial Institutions Practice Group regularly publish articles and speak publicly on topics of interest to banks and bank customers. As a service to our banking clients, we offer speakers for bank seminars and outreach presentations on topics of interest to bank staff and customers.
We are members of the Illinois Bankers Association and the Community Bankers Association of Illinois.