Miguel Diaz de la Portilla
Miguel Diaz de la Portilla is a partner in the Miami office of Arnstein & Lehr LLP. He is Co- Chair of the firm’s Municipal & Governmental practice group and a member of the firm’s Property Tax Appeals and Land Use practice groups. Mr. Diaz de la Portilla is also a State Senator in Miami-Dade County, where he has served since 2010.
Mr. Diaz de la Portilla concentrates his practice in the areas of land use and zoning, code enforcement, government procurement and property tax appeals. He has wide-ranging experience as a land use and zoning attorney in Miami-Dade County. Mr. Diaz de la Portilla represents major developers in securing governmental approvals for large-scale residential, commercial, mixed use, and/or retail projects before various municipal and County governments. He is also an accomplished civil litigator who has successfully represented clients in matters before State and Federal Courts, as well as before administrative bodies.
Mr. Diaz de la Portilla has also served two terms as a Miami-Dade County Commissioner, including his service as Chairman of the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners, where he created the Office of Inspector General, the Miami-Dade County Expressway Authority (MDX),the Downtown Dadeland Charrette, Downtown Dadeland Zoning Ordinance, and the Community Zoning Appeals Board. Mr. Diaz de la Portilla has also served as a Board Member and Chairman of the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (TriRail) and as a Board Member of the South Florida Regional Planning Council.
Mr. Diaz de la Portilla has been selected as “Legal Elite” in Government and Administrative Law Practice by both Florida Trend magazine and the South Florida Legal Guide. Mr. Diaz de la Portilla is a Martindale-Hubbell AV Pre-eminent Rated attorney. Mr. Diaz de la Portilla has also been recognized by Miami New Times as the “Best Lobbyist” in their annual Best of Miami rankings.
He is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil Circuit Court Mediator and volunteers as mediator for the Miami Dade County Court’s Pilot Program for Mediation in Restitution Cases Program. Additionally, Mr. Diaz de la Portilla serves on the board of directors for the Builders Association of South Florida.
Professional Activities and Achievements
- Board of Directors, Builders Association of South Florida
- Member, American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section
- Member, The Florida Bar, City, County and Local Government Section
- Member, The Florida Bar, Environment and Land Use Section
- Member, Coral Gables Elementary PTA
- Board of Directors, Coral Gables Cultural Development
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Mr. Diaz de la Portilla frequently appears on radio and television as a political analyst.
The University of Miami (J.D., cum laude, 1987)
The University of Miami (B.A., cum laude, 1984)
State of Florida
U.S. District Court for Southern District of Florida
Supreme Court of Florida
- “Miami partner Mark Scott discusses hotel refinancing in "South Florida Business Journal"” (September 2014)
- “Miguel Diaz de la Portilla and Elinette Ruiz secure win for first rural dog kennel in Miami Dade County” (June 2014)
- “Miguel Diaz de la Portilla and Elinette Ruiz successfully gain approval for largest charter school in Florida” (June 2014)
- “Florida State Senate approves Aaron Cohen Life Protection Act” (April 2014)
- “Miguel Diaz De La Portilla featured in Miami Herald and supported by attorney general for hit-and-run bill” (February 2014)
- “Miguel Diaz de la Portilla interviewed for Telemundo Miami segment on the Aaron Cohen Life Protection Act” (December 2013)
- “Miguel Diaz de la Portilla recognized by Third District Court of Appeal for life-safety issues at the court” (January 1900)