Barry R. Katz
Barry R. Katz is a partner in the Business and Real Estate practice groups focusing in the areas of real estate and corporate law areas. He represents Fortune 500 companies, national lenders, developers, syndicators, condominium associations and management companies located both in the Chicago area and nationwide with respect to the acquisition, sale, financing, syndication, operation and management of real estate. Mr. Katz has been involved in numerous multimillion dollar transactions concerning the purchase and sale or financing of real estate, and has represented many lenders in multimillion dollar transactions secured by liens upon real estate, equipment and inventory. He has extensive experience representing landlords and tenants in the leasing of a wide variety of retail, commercial and industrial properties. Mr. Katz also has been involved in the merger and acquisition of businesses and the financing of such transactions, including the representation of lenders extending credit facilities and the representation of the buyer or seller of the business.
In the corporate law area, Mr. Katz represents companies ranging from small privately held corporations to publicly held Fortune 500 companies. He also represents several not for profit corporations.
Professional Activities and Achievements
Mr. Katz is a member of the American Bar Association, the Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association and the State of Illinois Bar Association. He also holds an Illinois real estate broker’s license. Mr. Katz is on the board of directors of Equestrian Connection NFP, a not-for-profit corporation, which provides horseback riding therapy to children with special needs. He also serves on a committee at Little City formed to protect the civil liberties and rights of its residents. In addition, Mr. Katz is involved with Misericordia, a not-for-profit corporation providing help for those in need since 1921.
- Contributor, “Retail Space Will be Harder to Find In 2014, CBRE Says,” Law360 (November 25, 2013)
- Contributor, “Appetite For Real Estate Debt Grows As Returns Justify Risk,” Law360 (September 18, 2013)
- Contributor, “Self Storage Deal Size Rises As Market Strengthens,” Law360 (August 28, 2013)
- Contributor, “5 Hurdles Facing Modular Building in NYC,” Law360 (August 5, 2013)
- Author, “Potential Property Pitfalls at Lease Renewal Time,” Buildings Magazine (July 22, 2013)
- Contributor, “Six Lease Agreement Amendments to Make Airbnb Work for You (Not Just Your Tenants),” Software Advice (June 3, 2013)
- Co-author, “Managing Commercial Real Estate Leases: Illinois,” Practical Law Company (May 28, 2013)
- Author, “Commercial Leasing Recovery Remains Uneven,” Law360 (May 8, 2013)
- Contributor, “How To Avoid Litigation When Selling RE Loan Portfolios,” Law360 (April 2, 2013)
- Author, “Trying to solve the underwater owner problem,” Real Estate Journal (March 4, 2013)
- Represents an international manufacturer/distributor of dental supplies, including protecting trademarks and trade names, exclusive distribution agreements, employment matters and product liability. Recently saved the client $50,000 on a real estate tax reduction.
- Represented the seller of a medium-sized business in an employment agreement dispute with the buyer, by successfully obtaining a temporary restraining order, counseling the client through a mediation process and securing return of the company to the client.
- Represented a major national bank and supervised a team of 10 attorneys and paralegals in the assignment of more than 450 loans in five states worth approximately $500 million to Fannie Mae. At the request of the client, the transaction was completed in 2-1/2 weeks.
- Recently closed the refinance of an 11-property portfolio worth more than $10 million with a major Chicago bank. The refinance was the culmination of more than two years of work beginning with negotiation of a forbearance agreement with the bank, followed by negotiation of a refinance. The cash flow from the properties now is able to support the debt service.
- Successfully represented a major Chicago suburban developer in the restructuring of a loan portfolio which involved nine loans totaling more than $26 million and 16 properties in Illinois, Wisconsin and Colorado. To meet the bank’s deadline the firm had less than three weeks to review, negotiate and conduct due diligence for nine sets of loan documents and then to prepare documentation required from the client to close the loan. Barry Katz was the lead attorney, supervising an in-house team.
- Successfully negotiated a long-term, $50 million lease for one of Chicago’s major retail shopping center owners for more than 100,000 square feet with one of the nation’s largest retailers. This complicated lease included provisions for extensive renovations, exclusive and prohibited uses, as well as assignment and subletting.
- Represents a national real estate company that serves as receiver to a high-profile suburban mixed-use development in foreclosure. Represents the company in negotiating and amending new and existing leases, providing counsel on association documentation and foreclosure matters, as well as negotiating with the village planning department.
- Represented a major finance company in the disposition of more than 100 acres of property in southern Wisconsin, including negotiation of contracts, preparation of closing documentation, collaboration with governmental officials on land-use matters.
- On a pro bono basis, represents Equestrian Connection, a non-profit organization that provides equestrian therapy for individuals with special needs, for such legal matters as banking relationships, employment matters, liability issues and general business issues.
Northwestern University (J.D., 1978)
University of Michigan (B.A. with honors, 1975)
State of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- “Law 360 publishes real estate article by Barry Katz” (January 2014)
- “Barry Katz contributes to article on Fed’s mixed messages” (December 2013)
- “Barry Katz co-presents lease agreement webinar” (December 2013)
- “Barry Katz contributes to Law360 on 2014 U.S. retail space” (November 2013)
- “Barry Katz selected as featured professional in Networking Insight newsletter” (September 2013)
- “Barry Katz contributes to Law360 article on self-storage” (August 2013)
- “Barry Katz quoted in Law360 on modular building” (August 2013)