Thomas F. McGuire
Thomas McGuire is a partner at Arnstein & Lehr and also a Certified Public Accountant. His practice is concentrated in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, and taxation. Mr. McGuire has substantial experience representing a broad range of individuals, financial institutions and tax-exempt organizations in connection with their estate planning and administration needs. He also is involved in obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status for charitable organizations. Mr. McGuire regularly handles complex issues involving individual and fiduciary income tax, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes. A substantial portion of his practice is also devoted to business and succession planning for family-owned and other closely-held businesses. He is involved in handling a diverse range of matters in the Elder Law area, including guardianships; health care and property powers of attorney; living wills; revocable and irrevocable trusts; Medicaid, Medicare and social security issues; and the review of agreements with nursing homes, retirement homes, and “life care” facilities.
Professional Activities and Achievements
Mr. McGuire is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, both the National and Illinois Chapters, and the Chicago Estate Planning Council, and a member of the Chicago, Illinois State and American Bar Associations.
He has spoken at seminars sponsored by bar associations, financial planners, banks, and other financial institutions and agencies. These seminars have covered a broad range of matters including income tax planning issues, the structuring and creation of various types of trusts and other estate planning vehicles and issues, tax issues relating to tax-exempt organizations and business and succession planning. He has also written numerous articles for Law Journals and other publications, and has recently co-authored a book entitled “Guiding Those Left behind in Illinois”.
University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) (J.D. magna cum laude, 1985; Phi Alpha Delta; Order of the Coif; James Scholar; Recipient of the Rickert Scholarship in Legal Writing)
University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) (B.S. in Accountancy, 1982)
U.S. Tax Court; U.S. Court, Northern District of Illinois; State of Illinois; State of Arizona; State of Florida
- “Colleen Chinlund and Thomas McGuire to speak on estate planning for Illinois residents” (April 2014)
- “Partners present on assisting with aging loved ones” (May 2013)
- “Thomas F. McGuire serves as seminar panelist discussing mistakes that can kill a business” (November 2012)
- “Thomas F. McGuire discusses the tax implications of going green at design seminar” (July 2012)
- “Chicago partners attend Inaugural Chicago event for the Anthony Quinn Foundation” (May 2012)
- “Robert E. McKenzie and Elizabeth Thompson quoted in USA Today regarding Mitt Romney’s tax filing” (January 2012)
- “Chicago Daily Law Bulletin article quotes Thomas F. McGuire and Robert E. McKenzie on tax filings for same-sex couples” (December 2011)