Our Consumer Finance Practice Group has established a national reputation as a leader in the defense of consumer finance litigation. In addition, our consumer finance attorneys have been successful in establishing landmark case law for our clients. We have a broad depth of experience counseling and defending clients on the various consumer finance related laws in state and federal courts throughout the country, both in individual and class action cases. Our consumer finance attorneys also provide preventative counseling to clients in this area, advising them on how to avoid litigation in the future.
Our Consumer Financial Services
Our services include:
- Defending consumer class action and individual cases involving ECOA, TILA, CROA, FDCPA, RICO, CFA, MVRISA, RESPA, and other federal consumer finance statutes
- Defending housing and lending discrimination charges, including loan flipping, reverse redlining, insurance packing, and yield-spread premium claims
- Defending cases involving collection activities, usury laws, and related state consumer fraud act claims
- Defending unauthorized practice of law claims in connection with document preparation fees and services, default mortgage outsourcing services, and other similar claims
- Assisting with the pricing and design of various credit and loan programs, including the review of consumer loan and lease forms
- Providing reviews and recommendations concerning compliance, forms, and financing procedures and reviewing and redesigning collection practices, including replevin and repossession
- Conducting state survey projects to help ensure that clients are in compliance with the applicable states’ laws
- Providing advice and litigation assistance in connection with bankrupt consumers
- Negotiating individual and class-wide settlements
- Counseling regarding Internet-based lending services, privacy, data mining, credit reporting, credit arranging, and debt collection
We provide services to a wide variety of clients, including banks, consumer finance companies, issuers of credit cards, vendors, and retailers. In addition, we have successfully defended litigation involving automobile loans and leases, retail installment loans, revolving credit loans, credit cards, payday loans, and other consumer credit products. Our clients range in size from some of the largest banks and finance companies to small, closely held enterprises. Our attorneys have authored numerous articles on developments in this practice group for leading consumer finance publications. Moreover, they frequently lecture on consumer finance issues at meetings of the American Bar Association, the Practicing Law Institute, the Conference on Consumer Finance, and various trade associations.